Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Home

I wrote a few months ago about the idea of home and how I finally felt like South Carolina is our home. It's funny because now I can't imagine living anywhere else. Matt and I were talking the other day about our life back in Virginia and it felt like such a distant memory. I can't remember the day to day things I used to do. My day to day wanderings in South Carolina have slowly erased the memories from Virginia. Now I'm used to shopping at my stores here and taking the same road over the same tiny bridges home. I have my new favorite gas station and that new bank I go to chat with the little old ladies when I need to make a deposit. 

We're coming up on our second set of holidays here. It's so hard because I'm excited and sad at the same time. I'm excited to get a long break at Thanksgiving but sad I won't get to see family. It was so nice last year though to just have us and to not go over board for the holiday. It was just the two of us AND the dogs :) celebrating together. 

Although my Mom is coming for a week at the end of October and my Grandparents and sister are hopefully coming the weekend after Thanksgiving! :) So I will get lots of family time in around the holidays. 

And luckily we'll still get to go home for Christmas and before that hopefully to meet our new little niece or nephew. Matt's sister is having a baby at the beginning of December and it's pretty exciting. 

It's strange to be happy here while being sad that my family is far away. Sometimes I feel bad for being happy, but I've come to remind myself that being happy that we're here doesn't mean I'm happy that we're far from family. In a perfect world, they would all just move here, haha. 

How I feel about home and the relationship I have with Matt can be summed up in the song from the winner of American Idol this year. I'm so happy and excited about our life together and what our future holds. 

Home by Phillip Phillips
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

No comments: