Friday, December 30, 2011

Christmas! and lots of other fun things :)

Last week was so much fun. It's hard to believe that this time last week I was in Virginia. Our trip was pretty terrific. We started it a week early when the rental car lady let us have the car a day early because she had a meeting the day we were supposed to pick the car up. (Side note: my Grandparents always say that if you're going to drive you shouldn't drive your own car, you should put the wear and tear on a rental, so that's what I've been doing :)) We got packed and headed to Virginia bright and early! The drive up was so much better than the one in September. The dogs were terrific. Could be partly due to the benadryl Cajun got or the cheese flavored rawhides we picked up. Either way, the drive was much more peaceful!

We pulled in to my family's house in time for dinner. It was nice to eat a meal cooked by someone else and my Grandmother at that after a long car trip. Friday while Matt slept in with the dogs I went to breakfast with my family and then did some last minute shopping. Then we relaxed and had clam chowder for dinner. My Grandmother tries to make me clam chowder once while I'm home. I LOVE her chowder so much. I wish I could can it and keep it in my pantry all the time.

Saturday morning we did breakfast, said good-bye to the dogs (who stayed with my Mom) and headed to Matt's family's. I hung out with his step-mother and helped her make cookies while he caught up with his childhood best friend, they ate at of all places, McDonalds, only men! Then he came home and we got ready for his family's Christmas Eve party. We had a lot of fun, all of his cousins, aunt/uncles and Grandparents were there. One of his cousins has the cutest baby ever, who is in love with cell phones, haha. He wanted to play with everyone's phone. They also had a cat, double ugh. Matt's sister and I were not happy campers. We are both really allergic. They apparently just adopted. I will be better prepared next year and bring my allergy meds with me! We got his Grandparents and the kids gifts and then the adults do a white elephant party. We ended up with a digital photo key chain and then a baking pan set, pretty awesome! We also got an immersion blender, which I'm super excited about!

The next morning we got up early and headed to his sister's house to watch his niece open our gifts. It was so funny out of everything we got her, her favorite gift was Candy Land!! Haha, it's so easy to make 5 years old happy! WE got our brother in law a Redskins gnome for his front yard, I don't have any pictures yet, but it is pretty awesome. I think he really enjoyed it.

Then it was back to my family's house for Christmas with them! We opened gifts and then cooked/ate a wonderful dinner and then got some good family time in :)

The day after Christmas Matt, my sister and I went shopping. We had a great time, probably because we only went to two stores! That night we went to Applebee's and played spades with my sister and brother in law.

The next day we got up at 4 am yep that's right 4 am for my Grandfather's procedure. It went very well. His left kidney looked great and they're doing to be able to repair the aneurysm in his stomach, hopefully at the end of the month.

And then it was time to come home :( I wasn't ready and I was. I miss my family like crazy already but I am also enjoying my couch and sleeping in my bed at night. And I've started on the next countdown until I see them :)

I also did not take one picture while I was gone, oh well! I have the memories at least :)

And now it's almost time for a new year! More on that later!! :)

No comments: